Saturday, August 11, 2007

I am just One Voter,

so why am I blogging?

This is my first presidential election living in Iowa (which makes me a very special voter indeed!). I have moved here from another state since the 2004 election, and unless you are here, you just can't imagine the attention being paid to us (never mind the money being spent on us). I want to offer my prospective to the rest of you. I will tell you which candidates have come to see me, which candidates are calling me, which candidates are buying advertising time slots on my favorite television shows. Ok, maybe I won't do all that, but I will tell you what I find interesting, sincere, insincere, laughable, shallow. In general, I'll give you my impression about what is going on.

Let me make this clear from the beginning, I'm not on the payroll of any of the campaigns. You're hearing the opinion one Iowan voter. I make no claims of being representative in any significant way, not of my state, nor my employer. I am not a political scientist. I enjoy following politics in an amateur way, and I am convinced of the importance of engagement. However, I am not a political pundit by any means. In many ways, I think that makes my impression even more important. After all, most of us are not pundits, and we are the ones who will ultimately decide.

I have not chosen which candidate will get my support. I'm keeping my options open, waiting to see who has the best package to offer. Though I am a registered voter, I'm not affiliated with either party. I will be soon, however, because I want to participate in the caucuses. Even after that, I reserve the right to change my mind.

No comments: